Friday, January 9, 2009

Viva Jeanne, Viva La France!

The Holy Father's address to the Vatican Diplomatic Corps this New Year included the following bit:

"My apostolic journeys, beginning with my visit to the United States, also allowed me to assess the expectations of many sectors of society with regard to the Catholic Church. In this sensitive phase of the history of humanity, marked by uncertainties and questioning, many people expect the Church to exercise clearly and courageously her mission of evangelization and her work of human promotion. It was in this context that I gave my address at the headquarters of the United Nations Organization: sixty years after the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, I wished to stress that this document is founded on the dignity of the human person, which in turn is based on our shared human nature, which transcends our different cultures." (Read the whole thing here)

To that, I respond with:

"The world has heard enough of the so-called 'rights of man'. Let it hear something of the rights of God."
- Pope Leo XIII, Tametsi Futura Prospicientibus

No comments:

Post a Comment